Province of Agrigento
Sciacca city of the sea and spas
The first settlement was founded by the inhabitants of Selinunte because of the abundant thermal springs in the area. The town has many religious monuments, such as the Norman church of Maria Santissima del Soccorso, founded in 1108 by Judith, the daughter of Count Roger, with works by Laurana and Gagini inside, and the 18th-century sanctuary of San Calogero, with his statue sculpted by Antonello Gagini in 1535; there are aristocratic palaces, like Palazzo Manno; military architecture such as the bell tower of 1550, the 14th-century medieval tower, and the Pardo tower, also 14th century. With such a complex history there are bound to be castles. The old castle, situated in the eastern part of the town, had rectangular towers and underground passages leading to the monastery of Valverde.