The town of ceramics and bell foundries
The artistic and architectural patrimony of this town in the province of Agrigento is present in its no less than 19 churches and two castles. Among these, not to be missed is the church of Santa Maria della Misericordia built in 1175 with its characteristic bell tower, and the mother church dedicated to Sant'Antonio Abate, also built by the Normans. The two castles of Burgio, that of the Peralta family (12th century), of Saracen origin, and that of the Ventimiglia family (14th century), are both in the town centre.
A special mention must be made for the local craftsmanship, including the only bell foundry still existing in Sicily and the traditional production of pottery, a tradition that goes back to the methods used by the Greek colonists.